Skip to main content

My Best Sageuk Drama: Dae Jang Geum Review

       This is my first post on this blog and I'm planning to place my reviews towards different sageuk dramas (Korean Historical Dramas)  that I have watched. My first ever sageuk drama is the most popular Dae Jang Geum aired on 2003,  (Jewel in the Palace) which was directed by Lee Byung Hoon and produced by MBC. The drama starred Lee Young Ae as Seo Jang Geum and with her leading man Ji Jin Hee as Min Jung-ho.

        First and for most this is the best Historical Drama for me. This drama has everything you want in a drama. For those who enjoys mouthwatering food, great scenery, costume, outstanding actors and actresses together with different touches of action,  pain, revenge, power, romance, comedy and passion; this drama is the best for you.  

      Unlike other reviews I'll be writing about how I think about this drama and not the synopsis since almost all reviews do it.

     Dae Jang Geum shows great inspiration for women during times when females are compared to be just merely objects and to be owned by men. It illustrates how a simple female could help change how past society looks toward women. 
             
        This drama keeps me enlightened every time I watch it. The pain and joy that Jang Geum felt since she lost her parents, hardships she underwent as a palace or kitchen maid, as a slave, as a nurse, as the personal doctor for the king, a lover, a woman and a mother is just amazing and outstanding.
             
       Through her great intelligence and passion on her work and possessing impressive personality and principle, she was able to conquer both success in attaining her goal of becoming the Highest Kitchen Lady of the royal palace and having her revenge towards the death of her parents and Lady Han (her mentor in Royal Kitchen.)

       I am happy with this drama because it  demonstrates a person who is not perfect which often times make mistakes and even fails. Jang Geum even being an almost perfect character also shows her weaknesses as a human being. There were scenes when Lady Han sent Jang Geum to serve the nursemaid of the Queen as punishment for being too rash and stubborn on one of the competitions. Another time was when she was scolded by her professor during her training on becoming a licensed nurse because she became too proud by her ability and forgot to be humble which became her downfall during that time.

         It’s true that we all have done mistakes and sometimes we even think of giving up because we think it’s too hard for us to handle. Even I in times of depression use this drama to remind myself that I can do it. If I believe in myself then I can truly achieve my goal.
  
      The character Jang Geum makes it more inspiring to watchers since this person really existed in ancient times. Though of course the plot of the drama is fictional, there were records of Jang Geum being called as Dae Jang Geum or “the Great Jang Geum” who became the personal doctor of the king for that period only even if many rejected her position because of the issue of her being female.
             
       This drama touches the hearts of people since we all feel the pain, happiness, love and laughter of Jang Geum as she grows from a girl, a lady, to a woman because of how concise each episode was made to keep the viewers wanting for more.
           
       Though they didn’t concentrated much on the love story between Jang Geum and Ming Jung-Ho until the end parts, the impact on the viewers on the plot is just unimaginable.
             
       Even if I have watched this 54-episode drama four times already, I never get bored. So, if you aren’t a fan of sageuk dramas yet, it is best that you watch this drama first. You will surely never regret it.

For those who have any comments or questions just post below. Thanks.

  I hope you can like my fanpage on facebook :) https://www.facebook.com/ILoveKoreanSageukDramas

Comments

  1. Hi there! I'd like to know your thoughts about Faith. I heard that was a good sageuk fantasy-drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I haven't watch it yet but it's on my list. I'll try to post it as soon as possible. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. My most favorite Jang Geum scene is when she treated Lady Choi who got sick because of the vegetable posioning because that scene shows that Jang Geum is a compassionate person who could overcome her "revenge issue" on lady Choi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jang Ok Jung: A drama that kept its word "Live for Love"

      This recent sageuk drama, Jang Ok Jung, Live for Love is a 24 episode drama made by SBS. The lead roles were Kim Tae Hee and Yoo Ah In. By just reading the title itself, we would all know that this drama circles the life of the most controversial woman in the Joseon Era, Jang Hee Bin.        As I first learned about the drama, I certainly got really excited. I had mixed emotions having joy for having a new and an interesting drama to watch while also having doubts on how the writers would conceptualize Jang Ok Jung's life. If you really are interested in sageuk dramas, you would certainly know that Jang Hee Bin is such an evil character in history as she has been able to shake the strong built government during her time. I was really interested on how this drama would be able to change the viewers perception on Lady Jang and as I just finished watching the drama, I would certainly say this:       It was a WELL THOUGHT drama and I would bow down to the director

Rooftop Prince: A Captivating Love Story

"Even if 300 years will pass... I will still love you" - -- Lee Gak and Park Ha (Best quote ever!)      During my summer vacation, I started watching the new drama of SBS "Rooftop Prince" out of the habit of wanting to watch any sageuk drama that would be showing. But I didn't expect to fall in love with the drama so much. In my ranking of best sageuk dramas, Rooftop Prince became my 3rd best, obviously having my 1st and 2nd, Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi which I have already reviewed about in my last posts.      So, this time I am giving my insights on another hit sageuk drama for this year, The Rooftop Prince. For the past few weeks, Rooftop Prince have been the hot topic for viewers who greatly enjoyed the drama. The plot of having to time travel from the Joseon Era into the current year is certainly a new and fresh story for the viewers; though now other dramas like Queen Inhyun's Man and Dr. Jin has also incorporated this concept.     I b