Skip to main content

Rooftop Prince: A Captivating Love Story





"Even if 300 years will pass... I will still love you" --- Lee Gak and Park Ha (Best quote ever!)


     During my summer vacation, I started watching the new drama of SBS "Rooftop Prince" out of the habit of wanting to watch any sageuk drama that would be showing. But I didn't expect to fall in love with the drama so much. In my ranking of best sageuk dramas, Rooftop Prince became my 3rd best, obviously having my 1st and 2nd, Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi which I have already reviewed about in my last posts.

     So, this time I am giving my insights on another hit sageuk drama for this year, The Rooftop Prince. For the past few weeks, Rooftop Prince have been the hot topic for viewers who greatly enjoyed the drama. The plot of having to time travel from the Joseon Era into the current year is certainly a new and fresh story for the viewers; though now other dramas like Queen Inhyun's Man and Dr. Jin has also incorporated this concept.



    I believe that it wasn't also the awesome story line that made the drama such a success, it was also because of the great casts who made everything so perfect from start to finish. This was my first drama seeing Han Ji Min play a lead role. And honestly I was really amazed by how much she has improved from the last time I saw her in Dae Jang Geum. After watching the drama, I would truly bow down to her for her excellent role as Park Ha. She was just truly amazing and is super pretty! :)

     Moving on, as always the story started by showing the characters' childhood story; connecting it to both the past and the present explaining that the crown princess (past) and Se Na (future) had exactly the same attitude or behavior after having been reincarnated and of course Bu Yong and Park Ha too.

       For me the connection of having to go to the future by the Crown Prince (Micky Yoochun) in order to find out the mystery for the sudden death of the Crown Princess was interesting. I would say that the writers really thought about it a lot to perfectly fit the story like a puzzle piece.

     The drama had also so much comedy in it that made the watchers laugh so hard that also made them more attached to story. Who would ever forget the other three men who came with the Crown Prince? They were so cute and funny that everybody loved them. <3

      There were so many funny parts especially the first episodes when they were still new to the place and time and all of them were still confused on what to do. I can still remember and laugh about it when they almost burned down the place of Park Ha and Yong Sul (Jung Suk Won) took water from the toilet bowl putting it into his mouth and spitting it out on the fire. It was just so hilarious just thinking about it makes me burst into laughter again. Anyways, there were so many funny moments that I can't mention all of them here. 

      The bad roles played by Jung Yoo Mi (Hong Se Na) and Lee Tae Sung (Yong Tae Moo) made everyone so frustrated because of their evil plans towards Park and Lee Gak (Crown Prince). I read so many comments saying so many bad things like wanting them to die and  blah blah these were actually really funny. But you know those are the reasons why there are mean characters in order for the story to be worth while. Where would be the fun in it if there isn't a "kontrabida" in any story. Isn't it?

        The love story between Park Ha and Lee Gak was also great. I really enjoyed the scene where Park Ha accidentally texted Lee Gak "I like you. I love you." Also when she hid his cellphone in a dig up hole. It was super funny, her expression and actions were just hilarious.

   Though she was able to confess her feelings to Lee Gak, the most painful scene came and it was the first scene when I cried with Park Ha. It was when Lee Gak told her that she shouldn't like him. I was like "You are so mean. You are so selfless, how could you do that to her." It was really a moment when you're like ripping a girl's heart out. It was painful to watch. :(

      Anyway, in the end he was able to confess his feelings to her and I was happy about it but then that was the time when they started to fade away and this I was really sad about it.


      Going straight to the wedding, though it was only the two of them since everyone has already disappeared, still it was the most the beautiful part among the whole drama. It really showed how much they love each other. I really agreed when Park Ha insisted to get married because she wanted to have a memory of her being married to Lee Gak. It was so touching and everything. Ofcourse it was also sad because the Crown Prince also went back to Joseon (which I really hope he didn't) but it was the right thing to do.


    There were some things that I was confused though. When Lee Gak found out that his reincarnation was Tae Yong, he explained that two souls/bodies couldn't be in the same era at once which gave him the idea that the real Tae Yong had died. But then towards the end of the drama, Tae Yong was found alive and well Lee Gak was still around too. So, it means both can stay alive at the same time. Therefore, to make it clear, the only explanation that Lee Gak was still there was because Tae Yong was in a vegetative state and it was like he was dead mentally. Am I right?


           Another concern was the death of Bu Yong. In the first episode the Crown Prince has said that the Crown Princess died from poisoning after she ate the dried persimmons but in the end we learned that it wasn't the Princess who ate them it was Bu Yong after she answered the riddle correctly. Didn't Bu Yong ate everything before she left? So, how could the Crown Princess be poisoned? How could then she have died? Anyway I was just curious, maybe the Crown Prince didn't really expected that it wasn't the real Crown Princess who died. Who would ever think that Bu Yong would exchange garments with her sister in order to save their family. So I guess they just made it that way. (I watched Rooftop Prince from the start and it was shown on the very first part that there were remains of the dried persimmon. With this, we could say that the Crown Prince may have thought that the Crown Princess also had a few bites which led to her death. So, just neglect my argument about this one, it was just still too weird that Lee Gak never thought that Bu Yong ate so much of it :D )


Oh yes, I was actually surprised to find out that Tae Mu was also an reincarnation of the half brother of the Crown Prince. Never thought that he was there in the past too.


     Lastly, the issue about the last scene where Park Ha meets the real Tae Yong. Many have been wondering what was really the meaning of seeing first Tae Yong and then suddenly it became the Crown Prince. For my understanding, Park Ha was really meeting the real Tae Yong and since he was the reincarnation of the Crown Prince it means that both of them has a connection with each other. I believe that Park Ha saw the Crown Prince with in Tae Yong that's why they showed Tae Yong turn into Lee Gak. Just thinking about it, the behavior of Se Na in the past was also the same in the present. So,we can say that Lee Gak and Tae Yong may also have same characteristics and actions since they are like what I said a while ago "connected with each other." I believe also that the writers ended it that way in order for the viewers to make their own assumptions on what really happened. They wanted to make the watchers decide on the ending they believe must had happened.





      Overall, I was really sad that it had to end. Honestly I really wanted more but of course, every story must end. The whole plot was just really beautiful. I would really say that I would watch this drama again. And before I forget the dish that became popular to everyone even to myself was the "Omuraisu". I even made one myself after I ended the drama. :) You should try one hehehe.

     For those, who haven't seen yet this drama, please watch. You would really enjoy it. This would be the end for my post about RP. I hope you enjoyed :)

      Thanks everyone for visiting my blog. Please feel free to comment below. :)


  I hope you can like my fanpage on facebook :) https://www.facebook.com/ILoveKoreanSageukDramas

Until my next blog, bye !

Comments

  1. i love rooftop prince so much....pwedeng ulit ulitin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kumaavo....i watchd rooftop...it ws indeed captivating........EVEN IF 300 YEARS PASSES I STILL LOVE ROOFTOP PRINCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely one of the most beautiful love story ever. Truly enjoyed watching this show. I felt I was riding an emotional roller-coaster. Although I wished that Park-Ha and Lee Gak could be together at the end, we all knew from the beginning of the show that it is not possible. Love this show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really dissatisfied with the ending. It was really great and all, but that they didn't explain Tae Yong's mentality and why he said that he waited for a long time.
    I expected more I think.
    But the rest especially from the final episode was really great. The love storyy in itself, the actors and the great enigma of the crown princess death. How everything came out in the end was breathtaking and beautiful and so so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the last episode really make this drama the best ever... its just so lovely and sad at the same time + so unpredictable. I actually hope the magic butterfly might appear and bring Lee Gak over but it didn't happened. the ending is a bit puzzled leaving me uncertain if it is a good or bad ending? I guess you are right, the ending is made for ppl to imagine and believe in themselves what they yearn for... but come to think of it, having Park Ha pair up with the reincarnation of Lee Gak - Tae Yong is actually still a lovely and beautiful ending as well...
    their love flourish after waiting for 300 years after they miss the it! really love this show and after so many years 2019 now... I havnt found a drama that can lift my heart of Rooftop Prince... I hope one day there will be a show or drama that can do that... <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jang Ok Jung: A drama that kept its word "Live for Love"

      This recent sageuk drama, Jang Ok Jung, Live for Love is a 24 episode drama made by SBS. The lead roles were Kim Tae Hee and Yoo Ah In. By just reading the title itself, we would all know that this drama circles the life of the most controversial woman in the Joseon Era, Jang Hee Bin.        As I first learned about the drama, I certainly got really excited. I had mixed emotions having joy for having a new and an interesting drama to watch while also having doubts on how the writers would conceptualize Jang Ok Jung's life. If you really are interested in sageuk dramas, you would certainly know that Jang Hee Bin is such an evil character in history as she has been able to shake the strong built government during her time. I was really interested on how this drama would be able to change the viewers perception on Lady Jang and as I just finished watching the drama, I would certainly say this:       It was a WELL THOUGHT drama and I would bow down to the director

My Best Sageuk Drama: Dae Jang Geum Review

         This is my first post on this blog and I'm planning to place my reviews towards different sageuk dramas (Korean Historical Dramas)  that I have watched. My first ever sageuk drama is the most popular Dae Jang Geum aired on 2003,  (Jewel in the Palace) which was directed by Lee Byung Hoon and produced by  MBC . The drama starred Lee Young Ae as Seo Jang Geum and with her leading man Ji Jin Hee as Min Jung-ho.         First and for most this is the best Historical Drama for me. This drama has everything you want in a drama. For those who enjoys mouthwatering food, great scenery, costume, outstanding actors and actresses together with different touches of action,  pain, revenge, power, romance, comedy and passion; this drama is the best for you.          Unlike other reviews I'll be writing about how I think about this drama and not the synopsis since almost all reviews do it.      Dae Jang Geum shows great inspiration for women during times when females ar